As a South Florida Wildlife Center Volunteer, you are vital to the success of the organization’s programs in education, rehabilitation, and conservation. You will interact with an incredibly diverse range of animals and people, whether at the Center or out in the community. You will learn the fundamentals of working at a wildlife center and further develop your knowledge of a diverse range of animals and the laws we abide by to protect Florida’s resources, habitats, and inhabitants.
The purpose of this volunteer program is to offer a wide variety of opportunities to interested people and to provide useful and meaningful service. This will assist Center staff in furthering the goals of The South Florida Wildlife Center, and provide support that would otherwise be impossible due to budget limitations. Not only will you be helping Florida’s wildlife, you’ll enjoy meeting new friends who share similar environmental concerns and gain personal satisfaction that comes from preserving Florida’s native animals.
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 9 hours per month. Shifts are in 3 hour increments so at least 3 shifts per month are needed to meet the minimum time requirement.
Those under 16 are not eligible to volunteer on SFWC property.
· Must attend orientation with a parent or guardian.
· Are allowed to volunteer unaccompanied by a parent/legal guardian and may not leave the property during the shift.
· Are required to complete at least 40 hours in three (3) months.
· Will get school paperwork signed upon completion of 40 hours.
· Have limited interaction with animals until contributing at least 40 hours.
· Carefully review the information above before applying.
· If you would like to proceed, please fill out the volunteer application.
· After review of your application, you will be invited to attend an orientation. If, after the orientation, we mutually determine this opportunity is a good fit, you will be asked to set up an interview to sign important paperwork, review the positions available and authorize a background check. Once the background check result is in, you will be contacted to set up a schedule and start volunteering!
· At the end of your orientation session, if you are ready to proceed in the volunteering process, there will be a $30 non-refundable fee that will cover items including the background check and one volunteer t-shirt.
Cannot commit to volunteering on a regular basis? From time to time, we may offer One-Day opportunities at the center or in the local area that will help us tremendously even though its only for one day. Activities may vary and may have a maximum amount of people allowed. Apply here to be on our email distribution list so we can let you know when these events are scheduled.